Friday, May 19, 2023

Pentecost Novena - Friday after Ascension Thursday


The Pentecost Novena is the first of all novenas, nine days of prayer. After Jesus' Ascension into heaven, He commanded His disciples to come together in the upper room to devote themselves to constant prayer (Acts 1:14). They prayed for nine days before receiving the Holy Spirit on Pentecost.

On May 4, 1897, Pope Leo XIII proclaimed: "We decree and command that throughout the whole Catholic Church, this year and in every subsequent year, a novena shall take place before Whit-Sunday (Pentecost), in all parish churches." It has been reported that Pope Leo XIII was inspired to mandate the Pentecost novena because of a letter from a housewife in Italy. Pope John Paul II has reiterated Pope Leo XIII's command for a worldwide Pentecost novena, although the novena can be prayed at any time — not only before Pentecost.
Try to go to Mass daily throughout the novena. Go to Confession during the novena. Make visits to church to adore the Eucharistic Jesus throughout the novena. The Church has not written any official prayers for the novena. The following prayers are suggested.

 The novena in honor of the Holy Spirit is the oldest of all novenas since it was first made at the direction of Our Lord Himself when He sent His apostles back to Jerusalem to await the coming of the Holy Spirit on the first Pentecost. It is still the only novena officially prescribed by the Church. Addressed to the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity, it is a powerful plea for the light and strength and love so sorely needed by every Christian. 

Begin with the prayer below, pray and meditate on the prayer for the given day, end each day with the closing prayer.

ACT OF CONSECRATION TO THE HOLY SPIRIT

Before the great multitude of heavenly witnesses, I offer myself, soul and body to You, Eternal Spirit of God. I adore the brightness of Your purity, the unerring keenness of Your justice, and the might of Your love. You are the Strength and Light of my soul. In You I live and move and am. I desire never to grieve You by unfaithfulness to grace and I pray with all my heart to be kept from the smallest sin against You. Mercifully guard my every thought and grant that I may always watch for Your light, and listen to Your voice, and follow Your gracious inspirations. I cling to You and give myself to You and ask You, by Your compassion to watch over me in my weakness. Holding the pierced Feet of Jesus and looking at His Five Wounds, and trusting in His Precious Blood and adoring His opened Side and stricken Heart, I implore You, Adorable Spirit, Helper of my infirmity, to keep me in Your grace that I may never sin against You. Give me grace, O Holy Spirit, Spirit of the Father and the Son to say to You always and everywhere, "Speak Lord for Your servant heareth." Amen. 

1
Holy Spirit, Lord of Light, from heaven above, give us Your pure beaming radiance.
The Holy Spirit Only one thing is important -- eternal salvation. Therefore, only one thing is to be feared--sin. Sin is the result of weakness and indifference. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Light, of Strength, and of Love. With His sevenfold gifts He enlightens the mind, strengthens the will, and inflames the heart with God's love. To ensure our salvation we ought to invoke the Divine Spirit daily, for "The Spirit helps our infirmity. When we do not know how to pray as we should, The Holy Spirit speaks for us."
Prayer Almighty and eternal God, You have regenerated us by water and the Holy Spirit, and have given us forgiveness of all sins, send forth from heaven your sevenfold Spirit and bestow His gifts upon us. The gifts of: Wisdom and Understanding, Right Judgement and Courage, Knowledge and Reverence, and a Spirit of Wonder and Awe.
Pray The Our Father once, The Hail Mary once, and The Glory be to the Father seven times.

2

Come, Father of the poor. Come, treasure which endures. Come, Light of all that lives.

The Gift of Fear The gift of Fear (Wonder and Awe) fills us with a sovereign respect for God, and makes us dread anything that offends Him. It is a fear that arises, not from the thought of hell, but from thoughts of reverence and loving submission to The One Heavenly Father. It is the fear that is the beginning of Wisdom. A longing for God that detaches us from worldly pleasures that could separate us from God. "They that fear the Lord will prepare their hearts, and in His sight will sanctify their souls."
Prayer Come, O blessed Spirit of Holy Fear, penetrate my inmost heart, that I may set you, my Lord and God, before my face always, help me to shun all things that offend You, and make me worthy to appear before the pure eyes of Your Divine Majesty in heaven, where You live and reign in the unity of the Blessed Trinity.
Pray The Our Father once, The Hail Mary once, and The Glory be to the Father seven times.

 3

Thou, of all consolers best, visiting the troubled breast, Dost refreshing peace bestow.

The Gift of Reverence The gift of Reverence fills in our hearts a loving affection for God as our most Heavenly Father. It inspires us to love and respect, simply for His sake, persons and things consecrated to Him, as well as those who are vested with His authority: His Blessed Mother and the Saints, the Church and the Pope, our parents and superiors. Those filled with the gift of Piety find the practice of their religion a delightful service, an enjoyable endeavour. Where there is love, there is no labor.
Prayer Come, O Blessed Spirit of Piety, completely fill my heart. Inflame in me such a love for God, that I only find satisfaction in His service, and for His sake, lovingly submit to all legitimate authority.
Pray The Our Father once, The Hail Mary once, and The Glory be to the Father seven times. 

4

Thou in toil art comfort sweet, Pleasant coolness in the heat, solace in the midst of woe.

The Gift of Courage With the gift of Courage, the soul is strengthened against natural fear, and supported to the end in the performance of duty. Courage gives to the will an energy which moves it to undertake, without hesitancy, the most arduous tasks, to face dangers, and to endure without complaint life's trials and tribulations. "He that perseveres unto the end, he shall be saved."
Prayer Come, O Blessed Spirit of Courage, uphold my soul in times of trouble and adversity, support my efforts for holiness, strengthen my weaknesses, grant me courage against all assaults of my enemies, that I may never be overcome and separated from God the greatest Good.
Pray The Our Father once, The Hail Mary once, and The Glory be to the Father seven times. 
5

Light immortal, Light Divine, Visit our hearts and fill our inmost being.

The Gift of Knowledge The gift of Knowledge enables the soul to evaluate created things at their true worth--in their relation to God. Knowledge unmasks the pretense of creatures, reveals their emptiness, and points out their only true purpose: instruments in the service of God. Knowledge shows us the loving care of God even in adversity, and teaches us to glorify Him in every circumstance of life. Guided by Knowledge's light, we put first things first, and prize the friendship of God beyond all else. "Knowledge is a fountain of life to him that possesseth it."
Prayer Come, O Blessed Spirit of Knowledge, and grant that I may perceive the will of the Father. Spirit of Knowledge, show me the nothingness of earthly things, that I may realize their vanity and use them only for the Glory of God and as a means to achieve salvation.
Pray The Our Father once, The Hail Mary once, and The Glory be to the Father seven times. 
6

Heal our wounds--our strength renews; On our dryness pour Thy dew, Wash the stains of guilt away.

The Gift of Right Judgement The Gift of Right Judgement endows the soul with heavenly prudence, enabling the individual to judge promptly and rightly what must done, specially in difficult circumstances or in times of exteme pressue. Right Judgement applies the principles furnished by Knowledge, and the discipline furnished by Courage, to the innumerable situations that confront us in the course of our daily lives as disciples of Christ. Right Judgement is supernatural common sense. "Above all these things, pray to the Most High, that He may direct your path in truth."
Prayer Come, O Spirit of Right Judgement, help and guide me in all my ways, that I may always do Thy Holy Will. Incline my heart to that which is good; to turn it away from all that is evil, and direct me by the straight path of Thy commandments to that goal of eternal life with you.
Pray The Our Father once, The Hail Mary once, and The Glory be to the Father seven times. 
7

If Thou take Thy grace away, nothing pure in man will stay, All his good is turn'd to ill.

The Gift of Understanding The Gift of Understanding helps us to comprehend the meaning of the truths of our Holy Religion. Through faith we come to know them, but through Understanding we learn to appreciate and greatly enjoy them. Understanding enables us to penetrate the inner meaning of these truths, and through them be engergized to newness of life and purpose. Our participation ceases to be sterile and inactive, but becomes an inspired mode of life that bears eloquent testimony to the faith that GOd has gifted us; we begin to "walk worthy of God in all things pleasing, and increasing in the knowledge of God."
Prayer Come, O Spirit of Understanding, and enlighten our minds, that we may know and believe all the mysteries of salvation; and may merit at last to see the eternal light in Thy Light; and in the light of glory to have a clear vision of Thee and the Father and the Son. Amen.
Pray The Our Father once, The Hail Mary once, and The Glory be to the Father seven times. 
8

Bend the stubborn heart and will, melt the frozen warm the chill, guide the steps that go astray.

The Gift of Wisdom Wisdom is the most perfect of the gifts. Just as love embraces all other virtues, Wisdom emobodies all the other gifts of the Holy Spirit Wisdom strengthens our faith, fortifies hope, perfects love, and promotes the practice of virtue in the highest degree. Wisdom enlightens the mind to discern and relish things divine, in the appreciation of which earthly promises lose their savor. Of wisdom it is written "all good things came to me with her, and innumerable riches through her hands." Wisdom enables the Cross of Christ to provide a divine sweetness according to the words of the Saviour: "Take up thy cross and follow me, for my yoke is sweet and my burden light."
Prayer Come, O Spirit of Wisdom, and reveal to my soul the mysteries of heavenly things. May I comprehend the exceeding greatness and beauty of heavenly things, and teach me to love them above and beyond all the passing happiness and satisfactions of earthly things. Help me to attain the gifts of heaven and possess them for ever.
Pray The Our Father once, The Hail Mary once, and The Glory be to the Father seven times. 

9

Thou, on those who evermore Thee confess and Thee Adore, in Thy sevenfold gift, Descend;
Give Them Comfort when they die; Give them Life with Thee on high;
Give them joys which never end. Amen

The Fruits of the Holy Spirit The Gifts of the Holy Spirit perfect the supernatural virtues in us by enabling us to practice them with divine inspiration. As we grow in the knowledge and love of God under the direction of the Holy Spirit, our service becomes more sincere, more generous, and the practice of virtue more perfect. Such acts of virtue leave the heart filled with supreme happiness (beatitude) and lead us to the Fruits of the Holy Spirit.
Prayer Come Holy Ghost, fill my heart with Thy heavenly fruits of charity, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, generosity, gentleness, faithfulness, modesty, self-control, and chastity that I may never tire in my service of God, but by continued faithful submission to Thy inspiration I may merit to be united eternally with Thee in the love of the Father and the Son.

Pray The Our Father once, The Hail Mary once, and The Glory be to the Father seven times. 

PRAYER FOR THE SEVEN GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

Dear Lord Jesus Christ, before you ascended into heaven, you promised to send the Holy Spirit into the souls of your apostles and disciples, graciously grant me the same Holy Spirit. Grant that He may perfect in my soul your grace and love and graciously fill me with your spirit of:
  • Wonder and Awe, that I may be filled with an infinite and loving reverence towards God, and dread in any way to displease Him.
  • Reverence, that I may find service of God sweet and amiable.
  • Knowledge, that I may know God and myself to grow perfect in holiness.
  • Courage, that I may joyfully bear my cross with you and overcome all obstacles that oppose my salvation.
  • Right Judgment, that I may gain beatitude by always choosing the surest way of pleasing God.
  • Understanding, that I may enlighten my mind with Your divine truth.
  • Wisdom, that I may aspire only for the things that are eternal and despise the things of this world.

Mark me Lord with the sign of Your true disciple, animate me in all things with Your Spirit, and grant that I may achieve the Fruits of the Holy Spirits in my lifetime.


Come, Holy Ghost (Veni Creator Spiritus)
Come, Holy Ghost, Creator blest, and in our hearts take up Thy rest;
come with Thy grace and heav’nly aid, To fill the hearts which Thou hast made.
O Comforter, to Thee we cry, Thou heav’nly gift of God most high,
Thou Fount of life, and Fire of love, and sweet anointing from above.
O Finger of the hand divine, the sevenfold gifts of grace are thine;
true promise of the Father thou, who dost the tongue with power endow.
Thy light to every sense impart, and shed thy love in every heart;
thine own unfailing might supply to strengthen our infirmity.
Drive far away our ghostly foe, and thine abiding peace bestow;
if thou be our preventing Guide, no evil can our steps betide.
Praise we the Father and the Son and Holy Spirit with them One;
and may the Son on us bestow the gifts that from the Spirit flow.
V. Send forth Thy Spirit, and they shall be created.
R. And Thou shalt renew the face of the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like This Blog? ... Then please click to FOLLOW :)


A request was made that I make a video tutorial on how to make a Macramé Rosary. 1st effort by myself and my brother, the camera man :)
*** The tutorial shows and mentions #11 seed beads ... ERROR! LOL .. should be #6 seed beads! ***


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Follow Me on Pinterest
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Apostle, St. John tells us exactly how to recognize the spirit of truth from the spirit of falsehood. He says "as for them, they are of the world - and the world listens to them because they speak the language of the world. But we are children of God and those who know God: LISTEN TO US. Those who are not of God REFUSE TO LISTEN TO US. That is how we can tell the spirit of truth from the spirit of falsehood." ~1 John 4:6 [The "us" to whom St. John refers are the Apostles, and their successors the Bishops.]


Abortion Alternative - The Adoption Movement


"THE BORN SUPREMACY: OUR UNBORN IDENTITY"


LUISA PICCARRETA ~ DIVINE WILL
It WILL change your life!


Prayer to avoid the Sin of PRIDE:
“Oh My Jesus help me to avoid the sin of pride when I speak in Your Name. Forgive me if I ever belittle anyone in Your holy Name. Help me to listen Jesus when Your Voice is spoken and fill me with Your Holy Spirit so that I can discern the truth of Your Word when You call out to mankind. Amen.”


A prayer of St. Teresa of Avila:
O my God! Source of all mercy! I acknowledge Your sovereign power. While recalling the wasted years that are past, I believe that You, Lord, can in an instant turn this loss to gain. Miserable as I am, yet I firmly believe that You can do all things. Please restore to me the time lost, giving me Your grace, both now and in the future, that I may appear before You in "wedding garments." Amen.


“My children, let your speech be chosen with great care—it must be a light in the world. Know and believe that all you say has repercussions in time and eternity. Therefore, choose your words with wisdom and prudence, choosing to remain silent rather than fill the air with useless chatter or worse, gossip or virulent speech. Let your speech be a perfect mirror of your peaceful heart, a heart firmly grounded in the love of God and in complete trust in His goodness. Silence is often the more virtuous path. Bridle your tongue and you will be working for peace in the world.”

In the Name of Jesus I renounce as lies all thoughts that enter my mind from the evil one who accuses. By the authority of Jesus, I command them to leave me. I consecrate my mind to God for transformation into His Thoughts for my protection, salvation and His glory.


SWANSONS ONLINE -
THE BEST QUALITY, SERVICE AND PRICES FOR ALL YOUR VITAMIN, SUPPLEMENT AND HERBAL NEEDS!!!! Been with them over 20yrs and LOVIN' IT! :)

ZULILY ~ GREAT PRICES & GREAT STUFF!

Father Donald Calloway's New Book: ROSARY GEMS
Check it out!


Please Drop by and "LIKE" Battlebeads on FaceBook

Rosary beads, Chaplets and More by BattleBeads - Home of the USA Chaplet
Please Click here and "LIKE" us today!



Why you should pray the Chaplet

Stations

Full Rosary

Chaplet of the Holy Face

St. Gertrude Chaplet


Chaplet of Protection

MUSIC



Great Older Marian Playlist!
May Each Day

One Pair of Hands


Walking With the Lord
A Video Meditation


Lectio Divina

Please join to END ABORTIONS NOW!


FREE AUDIO BOOK:
The Story of a Soul by St. Therese
ANOTHER FREE AUDIO BOOK Father Solanus Casey

Little Latin Readers

Popular Posts

Universalis (weekly) Liturgy of the Hours

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

My Blog List

Great Catholic Sites

Flag Counter

free counters
since 6/6/10

It must be said, that like the breaking of a great dam, the American decent into Marxism is happening with breath taking speed, against the back drop of a passive, hapless sheeple, excuse me dear reader, I meant people.
—Editorial, Pravda, April 27th, 2009; http://english.pravda.ru/

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Just a Note:

Through the grace of God and many prayers, I survived a double surgery (with cancer) in the fall of 2008. Since then has becoming increasingly important to me to enhance my prayer life. I have taken on the task of praying for strangers and those with little hope and much adversity. To that end, I've also begun (July '09), to make rosaries and related items to put prayer into the hands of as many as I can that will PRAY for others.

The world is at the precipice ... we need to TAKE ACTION ... NOW. Time for fence sitting is quickly coming to an end. We all need to do what ever we can in the way of PRAYER & PENANCE to beg God's Grace upon humanity that we may shake away this sinfulness and pride to get back on the road that leads to heaven and our Glorious Triune God!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After you have made a decision that is pleasing to God, the devil may try to make you have second thoughts. Intensify your prayer time, meditation, and good deeds. For if satan's temptations merely cause you to increase your efforts to grow in holiness, he'll have an incentive to leave you alone.
~St. Ignatius of Loyola


BATTLEBEADS UPDATES, SALES & INFO!